The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office is investigating yesterday afternoon’s accidental fire in Middletown that heavily damaged a residence, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.
Chionchio said the fire was reported shortly before 6:00 pm in the 900 block of Willow Court in the Villagebrook Trailer Park. The Volunteer Hose Company of Middletown arrived on the scene with flames engulfing the mobile home. All occupants were able to escape.
Deputy state fire marshals conducting the investigation found that the fire originated inside an exterior gazebo and burned into the occupied mobile home. Discarded cigarettes
caused the fire said Chionchio. Two adults and one child were displaced. The American Red Cross is providing emergency assistance.
Fire damage was estimated at $150,000.