The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has ruled Thursday night’s three-alarm fire, that heavily damaged a New Castle business, was accidental according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.
Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly before 10:30 pm, occurred in the J and M Commercial Park in the 100 block of J and M Drive near Churchmans Road. The Christiana Fire Company arrived on the scene with smoke coming from the building.
Chionchio said State fire investigators have completed the investigation and concluded that this fire was accidental in nature. A malfunction occurred in the heating process for epoxy resin inside the warehouse Chionchio said late Friday.
Heavy fire damage was estimated to exceed $1,000,000.
Just before 10:30, Thursday evening Firefighters from the Christiana Fire Company were alerted to a fire alarm and responded to the 100 block of J and M Drive in New Castle.
Upon arrival, Command reported smoke showing from a commercial structure at that location and requested additional companies to respond.
Shortly after the report Command reported fire through the roof and struck a second alarm. Within minutes Command upgraded the fire to a third alarm.
Crews worked for about three hours to bring the scene under control.
No injuries were reported.