Church Fire Was Accidental Investigators Say

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office has determined that this morning’s fire that damaged a
Delmar, Delaware church was accidental.

Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 3:00 am, occurred at the First Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ located in the 100 block of North Second Street. The Delmar Volunteer Fire Company responded to the fire.

State fire investigators were called to the scene. The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction inside the church. There were no reported injuries. Heavy fire damage was estimated at $250,000.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →