Townsend Man Will Serve Life In Prison In Stabbing Deaths Of 4 Family Members

On Friday, Donald Grier Jr., aged 41, was sentenced by Superior Court Judge Paul R. Wallace in connection with the deaths of four members. Grier will serve the rest of his life in the custody of the Department of Correction.

Grier had previously pleaded guilty but mentally ill to one count of first-degree murder and a weapons charge as part of a plea deal worked out with prosecutors.

The horrific incident took place on Friday, December 3, 2021, in Townsend, Delaware when patrol officers from the New Castle County Division of Police responded to a report of an injured person in the 300 block of Camerton Lane in Townsend at approximately 4:00 p.m. On arrival, they discovered Grier’s father, 68-year-old Donald Grier Sr. with multiple stab wounds on the front steps of a residence. Inside the residence, they found his mother, 70-year-old Alicia Grier, with severe stab wounds, Both were transported and later died in the hospital.

Police also found two more victims, 53-year-old Linda Santucci and 19-year-old Michael Santucci, were found deceased with severe upper body injuries.

While officers were securing the crime scene, information was obtained that the suspect had fled in the victim’s red pick-up truck and this information was broadcasted.

First State Update obtained the video below that captures the end of the police pursuit involving Grier.

Assisting officers located the vehicle and suspect on Summit Bridge Road in the area of Bethel Church Road, at which time the officers attempted to stop the vehicle, but the suspect failed to stop and a pursuit ensued. During the pursuit, the suspect identified then as 40-year-old Donald Grier struck other vehicles including a police vehicle prior to the pursuit ending and his being taken into custody.

Grier, who fled the scene in a red pick-up truck belonging to the victims, led law enforcement officers on a pursuit that ended with a crash on Summit Bridge Road near Bethel Church Road. During the pursuit, Grier struck several vehicles, including a police vehicle, before being taken into custody.

The legal proceedings resulted in Grier’s guilty plea to one count of first-degree murder and a weapons charge. In exchange for his plea, other charges, including three counts of first-degree murder, were dropped.

FSU learned last year that Grier had a criminal record in Delaware, was on probation, and had outstanding warrants at the time of the incident.