Sussex County emergency services are currently responding to a carbon monoxide exposure incident at a business located at 30214 Sussex Highway in Laurel.
According to the initial reports, five individuals are currently being evaluated. First responders on the scene have detected carbon monoxide levels at around 80 parts per million, a concentration that is considered dangerous. Officials are reporting that the back room water heater is the suspected source. Crews are also on the rood shutting of an air handler. They are trying to isolate the source.
The situation has been classified as a Level 1 Mass Casualty Incident (MCI), indicating the potential for a high number of victims. Emergency personnel have been instructed to utilize protective gear when entering the premises. Local hospitals have been notified to prepare for the possibility of receiving multiple patients.