Veterans Day, observed on November 11th each year, is a solemn occasion in the United States to honor and remember the men and women who have served in the nation’s armed forces. Originally commemorated as Armistice Day marking the end of World War I, it has evolved into a day that recognizes the sacrifice and valor of all American veterans. This day is marked by ceremonies, parades, and various events across the country, serving as a poignant reminder of the bravery and dedication of those who have served in the military. In 2023, the Delaware region and surrounding areas have planned several events to celebrate Veterans Day, providing an opportunity for communities to come together in respect and gratitude for their local veterans.
Events by County on November 11 and 12, 2023
New Castle County
- Delaware Veterans Memorial, New Castle: A ceremony hosted by the Delaware Commission of Veterans Affairs and others at 10:30 a.m. at 163 Cherry Lane.
- Rehoboth Beach Bandstand: Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 7447’s annual ceremony at 11 a.m.
- AMVETS Post 2, Millsboro: An event starting at noon at 32592 Long Neck Road.
- Fort Miles Museum, Lewes (Nov 12): A Veterans event from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 15099 Cape Henlopen Drive in Cape Henlopen State Park.
- Kent County Veterans Memorial Park, Dover: Service hosted by the Vietnam Veterans of America at 2 p.m. at 760-816 South Little Creek Road.
- Eastern Shore Veterans Cemetery Ceremony: At 1:30 PM at 6827 East New Market Ellwood Road, Hurlock.
These events across the region not only pay tribute to veterans’ service and sacrifices but also provide an avenue for educating and engaging the public about the importance of Veterans Day.