Croda Pays DRBA $142K For Thanksgiving Weekend Closure Of The Delaware Memorial Bridge


Croda Reimburses DRBA for Revenue Loss, Operating Expenses Related to Accidental Gas Release at Atlas Point Plant in New Castle, Delaware

Today, representatives with Croda, Inc. joined with Delaware River and Bay Authority (DRBA) officials to announce that the chemical manufacturer has reimbursed the Delaware River and Bay Authority (DRBA) for all lost revenue and associated operating expenses related to the accidental release of ethylene oxide on Sunday afternoon, November 25, 2018, according to statement released by the DRBA.

That Sunday evening, the Incident Commander made the decision to temporarily close the Twin Span and neighborhood roadways as a precautionary measure. The temporary closure of the Delaware Memorial Bridge lasted for several hours that evening.

Following a formal request from the DRBA, Croda has reimbursed the DRBA in full for lost revenue and operating expenses associated with the seven-hour bridge closure. The amount totaled $142,610.

“We regret the significant inconvenience this situation had on our neighbors and those traveling in the area,” said Robert Stewart, Managing Director of North American Operations for Croda. “We pride ourselves on being a good corporate citizen and a longstanding responsible member of this community. Reimbursing the DRBA is the right thing to do.”

Stewart noted that the company plans to work with DRBA officials and many other community leaders to explore ways to help keep the community safe.

“We appreciate the frank discussion we had with Mr. Stewart and his team at Croda regarding the incident and our path forward together,” said Tom Cook, Executive Director at the DRBA. “Croda officials have been extremely responsive to our questions and suggestions. When presented with the accounting of our lost revenue and costs associated with this unfortunate incident, they responded immediately.”

Cook added that he looks forward to a positive working relationship with Croda representatives going forward.

Source: DRBA

Original Story

The closure of the Delaware Memorial Bridge lead to a longer than expected Thanksgiving holiday drive home for some on Sunday.

A leak of the highly-flammable, ethylene oxide, from a chemical plant that sits next to the northern span of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, forced an emergency shutdown of both spans of the bridge just as families were returning home from the holiday weekend, according to authorities.

4:16 – Monday, November 25, 2018 Firefighters from the Holliway Terrace Fire Company dispatched to Croda Inc at 315 Cherry Lane in New Castle for reports of a commercial structure fire.

4:20 – Upon arrival, the incident commander reported that there was a small ethylene oxide leak from the new system and upgraded the incident to a box alarm and ordered all incoming crews to stage on Cherry Lane.

Within a few minutes, Command notified dispatch that the right two northern lanes of the Delaware Memorial Bridge would need to be closed due to the incident.

After accessing the scene Command reported that the deluge system was in operation and was keeping the vapors down.

4:55 – Command reported that the leak had just gotten worse and ordered both spans of the bridge closed. Crews were moving back to the main gate area.

Command ordered the train tracks that run near the Croda plant shut down.

11:13 – Authorities placed the incident under control and reopened the bridge.

Ethylene oxide (EtO) is produced in large volumes and is primarily used as an intermediate in the production of several industrial chemicals, the most notable of which is ethylene glycol. It is also used as a fumigant in certain agricultural products and as a sterilant for medical equipment and supplies, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

Delaware River and Bay Authority (DRBA) Spokesman James Salmon said: “both spans of the bridge closed due to a chemical gas leak at the production plant next to the northbound span on the Delaware side of the river.”
All traffic is being diverted to crossings north of the bridge said Salmon.

During the bridge shut down, DRBA authorities told First State Update that they were waiting for Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) to give them the okay to reopen the bridge.

David Carpenter Jr., the Coordinator of Emergency Management for New Castle County, said that the bridge was closed due to vapor plume.

Carpenter said that no evacuations have been ordered and that a reverse 911 call asked residents to shelter in place.

The closure of the bridge forced drivers on both sides of the Delaware River to find alternate routes to get home. Many headed north to the Commodore Barry Bridge to get across the water.


About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at

View all posts by Staff Writer →