Hockessin Fire Causes $300,000 In Damages, Seven Displaced

Hockessin – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has concluded that the fire that destroyed a Hockessin, Delaware home yesterday afternoon was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.

Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 5:00 pm, occurred in the 100 block of Neptune Drive in the North Star development off of North Star Road. The Hockessin Fire Company arrived with flames shooting through the roof.

Deputy fire marshals were called to the scene to conduct the investigation. The fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring. Smoke filled the occupied home and flames eventually broke through the roof. Seven occupants escaped without injury.

Heavy fire damage was estimated to exceed $300,000. Three adults and four children have been displaced because of the amount of fire damage. The American Red Cross provided emergency assistance to the family.

Original Story

Hockessin – Just after 5:00 p.m. this evening fire crews were dispatched to the 100 block of Neptune Drive, near Hockessin in North Star, for a report of a house on fire. Arriving units found the home showing heavy flames.

Crews began fighting the fire, moving quickly to the interior of the home. Crews found fire on the second floor and later in the attic. As fire companies from across New Castle County and Southern Pennsylvania began to arrive, Hockessin Command ordered a complete evacuation from the home due to a sagging roof.

Fire fighters began attacking the flames from the outside with multiple lines. As Aetna’s Ladder 9 extended above the home some of the crews on the ground moved back. Aetna open the hose attached to the ladder and began to knock the fire down from above. After about 30 minutes most of the flames were extinguished, allowing crews to reenter the home to put out hot spots.

Check Back Often We’re Adding Many Photos And Video