Update: Wilmington Fire Displaces 9 People, One Kitten Rescued

Wilmington – On June 4, 2017, at approximately 11:06 hours, Wilmington Fire Department units responded to 2707 North Tatnall Street for a report of smoke from a dwelling, according to Wilmington Fire Department Spokesman James Jobes.

Jobes said first arriving fire department units arrived and reported smoke and fire showing from a two-story middle of the row home. Upon further investigation within the structure, Wilmington Fire Department Units encountered smoke and fire conditions on the second and third floors of the dwelling. First-arriving Battalion Chief Timothy Perkins reported an active fire in the second and third floors of the home.

Hand-lines were deployed to the interior of the dwelling for fire extinguishment. Fire damage extended to the adjacent structure of 2705 North Tatnall Street. The fire was placed under control at approximately 12:02 hours by Incident Commander Battalion Chief Timothy Perkins.

There were no civilian or fire departments injuries. Four adults, five children were displaced and provided accommodations through the local Red Cross. One kitten was rescued from the scene.

The Wilmington Fire Marshal’s Office responded to investigate the origin and cause. The investigation is ongoing at this time, said Jobes.

Wilmington Licenses and Inspections responded to assess conditions and found properties 2705 and 2707 North Tatnall Street to be uninhabitable.

Original Story

Wilmington –  This morning at around 11:00 a.m. Wilmington Firefighters along with Wilmington Police responded to a report of a home on fire in the 2700 Block of Tatnell Street.

The first units arriving found heavy smoke on the front side of the home while heavy flames were reported from the rear. Fire crews searched the home several times and did not find anyone in the home.

Crews worked quickly to knock down the fire and bring the blaze under control. Once the fire was brought under control fire crews took a moment to recover from the heat, many sitting in the street re-hydrating.

The home appeared to have suffered heavy smoke damage throughout.