Follow Us On

Fire Marshal Releases Cause Of House Fire Near UD Campus, 4 Students Displaced

Newark – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that this afternoon’s house fire in Newark, Delaware was accidental.

The blaze, reported shortly before noon, occurred in the unit block of Wilbur Street in the City of Newark. The Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder Company arrived on the scene with flames coming from the house.

State fire investigators responded to the fire and conducted the investigation. An electrical malfunction occurred inside a bedroom causing the fire. Four university students have been displaced and arrangements have been made to relocate.

Smoke alarms operated inside the home. Fire damage was estimated at $15,000.  There were no reported injuries.

Original Breaking Post

Newark – Fire crews from Aetna, Hose Hook and Ladder have responded to Wilbur Street for reports of a house fire.

Arriving units found heavy smoke showing from the top floor. Crews from across New Castle County have respond to assist.

Firefighters have cleared the house and no injuries are reported.

Cleveland Avenue is closed in both directions. Avoid the area.

Developing

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at desk@firststateupdate.com.

View all posts by Staff Writer →