Newark – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that this afternoon’s fire that heavily damaged a Newark, Delaware home was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.
Chionchio said the blaze, reported shortly after 5:00 pm, occurred in the unit block of Winsome Way in the Pencader Village neighborhood. The Aetna Hose, Hook, and Ladder Company arrived on the scene with flames engulfing an attached garage.
State fire investigators were called to the scene to conduct the investigation. The fire originated inside the attached garage due to a faulty portable propane heater, said Chionchio.
Five adults, 1 child, 3 dogs and one cat have been relocated by the American Red Cross due to the heavy damage.
Fire damage was estimated at $200,000.
Newark – Just before 5:30 this afternoon firefighters from across New Castle County, along with county police and paramedics responded to the unit block of Winsome Way, Pencader Village, for reports of fire in the garage.
Upon arrival, crews reported heavy smoke and fire coming from the garage, with possible extension into the attic. Crews made an aggressive attack on the garage and quickly brought the fire under control.
The blaze caused heavy smoke and fire damage to the home.
One laceration injury was reported.