Officials: Child Uses Lessons Learned In School Fire Prevention Program To Save Family, Home

[media-credit name=”Office of the State Fire Marshal” align=”aligncenter” width=”590″][/media-credit]

Regional News  – Salisbury, Maryland – On Thursday afternoon, at approximately 3:15,  firefighters from the Salisbury, Maryland Fire Department responded to the 900 block of Vincent Ave. in Salisbury for reports of structure fire.

Upon arrival, crews found a small fire, in a family room, caused by a faulty electrical cord, according to officials.

Firefighters brought the scene under control within five minutes of arrival.

The Office of the State Fire Marshal said the discovery of the fire by a juvenile family member led to the early notification of other family members who were also occupying the residence at the time of the fire.

Upon hearing the smoke alarm activation, the juvenile safely exited the residence with his younger sibling and performed the proper exiting and notification methods which he learned in a school fire prevention program.

The juvenile’s actions saved the lives of his family members and extensive damage to his residence, said officials.

The Salisbury Fire Department Public Education program conducts demonstrations, lectures and equipment displays for the public. Presentations on a variety of fire and EMS related topics are available; including fire prevention and safety, CPR and AED use. They speak to school groups, daycares, church groups, businesses and even neighborhood groups.

About Staff Writer

First State Update's Delaware editorial team covers New Castle County, Kent County and Sussex County breaking news, political news, and general news stories. We bring the reader the latest news from the Wilmington, Newark, Dover, Rehoboth Beach and all point in between. If you have news to share, email us at [email protected].

View all posts by Staff Writer →