Troopers: Two Ejected From Motorcycle After Being Struck By Taxi Driver


Delaware State Police are investigating a serious crash that occurred on Lighthouse Road (SR 54) at the entrance to Mallard Lakes earlier this morning in Selbyville, according to Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Melissa Jaffe.

Jaffe said the incident occurred on Friday, June 1, 2018 at approximately 2:26 a.m. when a 2017 Volkswagen passenger vehicle, was traveling westbound on SR 54 approaching the Mallard Lakes entrance. A Harley Davidson TriGlide trike motorcycle, was also traveling westbound SR 54, behind the Volkswagen.

The operator of the Volkswagen, a 41-year-old Uber driver from Willards, MD, was driving two passengers from Ocean City to a residence in Mallard Lakes. One of the passengers initially provided the driver with a final destination/ landmark of Smitty McGee’s, located across SR 54 from the entrance to Mallard Lakes.

As the driver was merging into the left turn lane to turn into the parking lot for Smitty McGee’s the passenger instructed him to instead turn right into Mallard Lakes where his residence was located. The driver, then turned right causing the right front of his vehicle to hit the left side of the motorcycle.

The impact caused the operator of the motorcycle, a 47-year-old male from Rehoboth Beach, and his 42-year-old female passenger to be ejected. The Volkswagen was able to come to a controlled stop and remained at the scene.

The operator of the motorcycle was not wearing a helmet and was removed from the scene by EMS and transported to the Beebe Medical Center, where he was later transferred to the Christiana Hospital. Officials did not release his condition.

His passenger, who was also not wearing a helmet was removed from the scene by EMS and transported to the Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, MD., with serious non-life threatening injuries. It is unknown at this time if impairment is a factor on behalf of the driver.

The operator of the Volkswagen was properly restrained and was removed from the scene by EMS and transported to the Atlantic General Hospital in Berlin, MD with minor non-life threatening injuries. Both of the passengers in the Volkswagen were properly secured and uninjured. Impairment does not appear to be a factor on behalf of the driver.

The roadway was closed for approximately 4.5 hours while the investigation was conducted and the roadway was cleared.