The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal has determined that a fire that heavily damaged a Newark, Delaware business this morning was accidental, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.
Chionchio said the Aetna Hose, Hook and Ladder Company was dispatched to a building fire at Bruster’s Ice Cream located at 1620 Capitol Trail shortly before 2:00 am. Firefighters encountered smoke coming from the one-story structure upon their arrival.
State fire investigators were called to the scene. The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction inside the store. The fire caused an estimated $100,000 in damages. There were no reported injuries.