Family Displaced After Barbecue Grill Catches House On Fire

A residential house fire in Wilmington, Delaware last night has been determined to be accidental by the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

Chionchio said the Talleyville Fire Company along with neighboring mutual aid fire companies responded to the 2400 block of Valley Avenue in the Naamans Manor development around 6:30 pm for 9-1-1 calls reporting a house on fire.

Firefighters arriving at the scene encountered an active fire along the exterior of the home spreading into the attic.

Deputy fire marshals were called to the scene to conduct the fire’s origin and cause investigation. The fire originated in a gas barbecue grill on the exterior of the house and flames entered the house through the roof soffits and then the attic space said Chionchio.

Heavy fire damage was estimated at $100,000. There were no reported injuries. Two adults and two children were displaced. The American Red Cross is assisting those displaced with emergency aid.