Sussex County – The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal investigated a fire that damaged a residential structure in Selbyville on Thursday morning.
The fire broke out just before 7:00 in 36000 block of Mallard Drive. The Roxana Fire Company, along with neighboring departments, was dispatched to the scene.
Firefighters encountered heavy smoke upon arrival, with the trailer reported to be fully involved. Despite initial concerns that two individuals were trapped, it was later confirmed that all occupants had safely evacuated. The efforts of the first responders resulted in the fire being extinguished by approximately 7:15 am, though crews continued to work on the scene to address any remaining hotspots.
Responding crews included Roxana Fire Company, Bethany Beach Fire Company, Ocean City Fire Department, Sussex County Paramedics, and the power company, which was called to disconnect electricity to the affected home.
In a subsequent investigation conducted by the Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal, the fire was determined to have originated accidentally due to an electrical malfunction. State Fire Marshal John Galaska reported that there were no injuries to any residents or firefighters. The fire caused an estimated $85,000 in damage to the property.
Galaska said the lone occupant of the structure was alerted to the fire by working smoke detectors and was able to escape without injury. Officials with the American Red Cross were called to assist the displaced resident.